The Mint Museum of Art on Randolph - housed in the US Mint in Charlotte. The building was demolished and moved to the East Over Neighborhood in 1936. The original Facade designed by famed architect William Strickland, a contemporary of South Carolina's own Robert Mills, is located on the back of the museum. The Mint opened on July 27, 1837, and struck the first coin a few months later. From 1933 to 1935 a debate over the demolition of the Mint ragged in Charlotte. A group of citizens, arguably led by Mrs. Harold Dwelle arranged to buy and have the rubble moved to the Eastover Commodity and rebuilt. The Mint Museum opened in October 1936 and was North Carolina's First Art Museum. If not for the strong women of Charlotte, the Mint would have been lost.